Stacey’s Farmdominium: It begins

Stacey's Farmdominium by Stevan Buren Roofing, Windows, & Flooring

 

Hey! Stacey here. Welcome to the first installment of what will be a running series over the next few months. My plan is to give you a peek into the construction of my house. And since my company is building its shell, the company blog seems like a good place to document the journey… for posterity. To be clear, this is also Josh’s house, but he doesn’t work here, so he doesn’t get to name the blog series!

Stacey's BarndominumWhy build?

Josh and I spent months looking, and couldn’t find a suitable house to buy. But we did find a wonderful chunk of property for a really wonderful price. After much research and cost-evaluating, we decided to buy the bare property and build a house on it. (Please note that our property is located well outside any city limits. We are able to do things a little differently than in many custom-home projects.)

farmdominium? Um, what?

Outside, it’s a simple saltbox farmhouse. Inside, it’s a soaring barndominium.  Thus I have dubbed it our FARMDOMINIUM. See what I did there?

Josh and I love the barndominium look. Metal building, metal roof. Rustic, rugged, yet modern and simple. However, metal buildings are notoriously prone to critters. You have to insulate the living snot out of them to make them habitable. And in order to have windows and walls, you have to frame a wood house inside the metal framing anyway. And making cuts for exterior windows and doors where you want them is a laborious endeavor, to say the least. So for energy efficiency and critter control, we opted for a well-insulated wood-frame house in the shape of a metal building. We added a wrap-around pseudo-porch for a bit of a farmhouse feel.

I designed the house in some robust software I use here at work all the time for mocking up projects. Stevan and the guys made sure load spans and whatnot are okay, and we’ll probably make a few tweaks when we start framing. But here’s a video tour I did for my out-of-state family to see (it’s a little rough, but still kind of neat):

Progress so far

As of right now, we have overhead poles due to be set any day. Oncor dug the holes for them and we have our temporary pole and breaker box set; we just need the big poles and wires. We also have a water meter at the road, just need to dig the pipe trench to the build site.

While we wait for slab and septic, Josh and I are building what will become my workshop, in the mean time our interim residence. We’re doing that ourselves to save money, but I’ll share a little bit about it in the next installment of the series!

(I’ll add the link to the next installment here when it’s ready.)

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
X