1. Laminate— Used in millions of kitchens and bathrooms since Formica® invented it in 1912. New technologies and new laminating materials are giving this trusty staple a fresh boost.
2. Granite— The current most popular option for remodels and high-end homes. Requires regular sealing and cleaning with mild cleansers.
3. Composite— Engineered with very hard resins and other materials to create impervious, heat-, microbe-, and scratch-resistant counters.
4. Concrete— Rising in popularity. Similar upkeep to granite. Poured in place or on-site.
5. Wood— Like wood floors, butcherblock counters just never go out of style, for good reason. Natural, durable, and easily refurbished.